Friday, July 10, 2009

New Old top tutorial

This top wasn't made as planned so you might find it a bit confused if you don't read the instructions.
I'm using a spaghatti top as shown. Cut it into 3 parts, from bottom: the main body piece, the suppose to be shoulder straps for the top (which eventually didn't happen), and the excess.
Use fold-over elastic(FOE) to gather the top of the main body piece using zigzag stitch. Remember only stretch the FOE and not the knit fabric or you won't get create any gather, you might want to refer to here. I leave a bit at the end, fold in and sew with hand so that it look neater.
The following is what I planned to be the shoulder straps, but I played with the cloth and at the end I didn't have enough for this, partly because I forgot that my girl has grown up :P If you are not playing with the cloth you should have enough to made beautiful shoulder straps by doing gather with FOE. You don't need to do anything to the other side of the strap, as knit don't fray. Attached them to the main body piece to be the shoulder strap and it's done!
This would be how it should look like if I'm using the above pieces for the shoulder straps. However, the leftover pieces were not long enough so I use the original straps from the old top instead.
I also attached pockets and I think it look much cuter with them. Love the Cheesy Mousey fabric.

The pocket is another trial and error thing, didn't take any photo, if you like to have a tutorial on the pocket, let me know, maybe I can do one on another day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I love what you did with your FOE. My stash is arriving on Monday and should take a week to clear customs. I can't wait to give all my favourite fabrics and loving stroke again.

Thanks for such a great tutorial. Something I definately need to try for myself.

Sarah said...

This is just darling! I'm so glad that you posted this! Thanks!